Verified Reviewer

2.2

Original review updated by user Aug 11, 2021

(1) The entire renewal process for UK customers is obtuse and exasperating. Across our phones, personal laptops, and work laptops, my family and I have 10 devices.

After purchasing a software key, McAfee makes it almost impossible to simply enter the key on a webpage and renew the license for the applicable devices. There's no webpage or guide explaining the renewal process. I had to uninstall McAfee on all those devices then re-install it just to renew the license for the exact same protection service.

Instead, your computer is bombarded constantly with pop-ups demanding you renew your soon-to-expire service, insisting you buy for £60 a key McAfee themselves sell for cheaper elsewhere (an outright scam for people wanting a quick renewal), and which provides no other way to renew your service, i.e. enter a software key.

(2) The McAfee website for UK users is equally obtuse and exasperating.

To see which devices are associated with your account, one must scroll horizontally on a tiny, 2003-era interface that is slow, laggy, and unresponsive. It does not display all your devices clearly on one page, which makes assessing devices that need "renewal" (un- and re-installing, per the above) needlessly difficult. Moreover, it lists the same devices multiple times thanks to some error in how devices are tracked (presumably because of how "renewal" has to be done), but provides no way to delete these from the interface for ease of use.

(3) The entire complaints procedure is anti-consumer. There is no clear way to raise a support request.

Once one is raised, you will be emailed a customer service request number and are repeatedly told to get in touch before the ticket expires. Yet, an hour of googling forums, webpages, and the McAfee website later, and I still cannot find where I am supposed to explain what my problem is.

Again, there is no webpage explaining how non-corporate UK customers can submit complaints or seek support, nor is there anything on the McAfee website coming close to a helpful guide on what to do with a seemingly useless service request number.

These problems have somehow got worse, not better, over the past 2-3 years. I've been a customer since 2014, but after this awful experience, I will no longer be using McAfee once these licenses expire.

If you are a customer who enjoys easy-to-use account management pages, clear information on websites, simple renewal processes, and responsive customer service, I highly recommend you do NOT use McAfee.

Preferred solution: Apology. A solution to the awful renewal experience and website UI. A price reduction for long-term, loyal customers (since 2014 me/my family, since 2009 my father)..

Mcafee Pros: Good protection.

Mcafee Cons: Auto-renewal, Website experience, Renewal price gouging, Customer service.

Comments