Mcafee Reviews

Show reviews that mention
computer service account money customer subscription protection credit card card customer service
Filter review

Macafee customer service and tech support worst ever

Macafee customer service and tech support is the worst nightmare ever. Customer support and tech services are all in India and they do not care if you have a problem. Finally found the United States corporate office phone number on the internet and after documenting my problem, they sent me back to tech support and the whole goat rope started again. After spending hours on the phone with customer service and tech service, nothing was ever resolved. It appears that they are following a script and can't comprehend anything that doesn't fit there. I will NEVER buy a Macafee product again
#319955

Microsoft Security Essentials FREE antivirus software is what everyone is using now. Doesn't have to be registered, renewed, or any of that nonsense that even the freeware ones require.

#319725

I stopped using McAfee years ago after encountering their award winning customer service. I see it is no better.

Whenever I buy a new computer, one of the first things to go is McAfee---even if it comes with a year's service. There is no, I repeat, no reason to buy any anti-virus, anti-malware, etc program these days if you are a home computer user. There are a ton of free programs out there which do just as good if not better than McAfee---take a look at Komando.com and find the free software Kim Komando recommends. McAfee and others of their ilk put so much junk onto your computer it is crazy.

You end up with a slow-running, resource-poor machine with conflicts all over the place.

And, to top it all off, McAfee adds insult to injury by basically telling you to *** off by transferring your calls to India. What a bunch of nonsense.

Houston, Texas
Service
Mcafee Customer Care

Stay Away from McAfee

McAfee is not interested in keeping your computer clean. They are only interested in selling you more expensive services. Had McAfee installed and got a virus anyways. Called the free support that was promised. They immediately wanted to sell me $150 worth of service. Uninstalled it finally. Called back cuz I was considering reinstalling due to suspected virus. They scanned my system and found all sorts of alarming stuff but again only wanted to charge me $150 to remove it. I hung up. Did a Microsoft free scan and there was nothing wrong with my computer. Stay away from McAfee.
Islip, New York

Virus infected 6 files with McAfee installed

Installed McAfee Internet Security 2011 on 02/27/11. Last week took advantage of an offer from Microsoft Security Essentials for a fee scan which showed 6 files infected. Contacted McAfee via email and basically was told no software is 100% effective and they were sorry my files were infected. However if I paid them they would remove the viruses. McAfee took no liability their product failure and offered no assistance unless I paid for their services. Thought I did that when I purchased their product. Thanks for nothing McAfee! Certainly won't be using any of your products in the future.

I gotta wonder if any other scanners would have found those same viruses in the same files. Many companies are now marketing their "Anti-Virus" software using scare tactics.

I accidentally hit one of those a while back and it told me that I had a number of viruses on my system but I used to WORK anti-virus support and recognized some of the names as ancient now. I went to another scanner and had another scan run and found NOTHING.

Grain Valley, Missouri

MCAFEE RIPOFF - IYOGI

I purchased McAFEE anti-virus software online. I was given a toll free telephone number to call ( to activate my new subsription ). Upon calling this number I was high pressured by an individual from India representing a company known as "iyogi". This guy asked me a thousand questions and insisted that I allow him to take temporary control of my PC so he could scan it for malware. he said McAfee would not download correctly if I didn't do this. I said OK, and after about 30 minutes of screwing around with my PC I was advised that my it was infected with numerous malware attachments and virus's. I was then high pressured in to purchasing a package from iyogi that would alledgedly clean my PC and offer me tech support for any future problems. After 1 1/2 hours on the phone with this guy, I finally gave in and purchased a "smaller" support package for $180.00. The entire experience smelled of a scam and I regret having thrown away my money. After this guy finally downloaded my McAfee, my PC continued to run like *** and I have since replaced it with a new one. The McAfee company should be ashamed for routing their customers to this iyogi orginization for a financial scalding! I now have Norton Antivirus on my new computer and just love it. I will NEVER, EVER AGAIN PURCHASE ANOTHER MCAFEE PRODUCT!!

So glad I didnt allow them in. It smelled like *** to me.

I knew it was a way to get me to buy more stuff. Thank you for sharing your experience, and thank God I didnt allow him in to f with my computer. McAfee is messing with the computers and slowing them down and trying to make you want help and then this. ***.

Im done with them now. This slow business has been going on for a long time.

Since I purchased the Total Protection, and they still tell me my pc is at risk, and its not. so on so on.

Called McAfee to unravel payment for my PC and Laptop.

Indian guy immediately went to iYogi and told me I had viruses on my registry.

Told him that I am using another company for PC/Laptop problems precisely. I saw the dates on the supposed viruses and they were there before McAfee "Tech Support" was supposed to get rid of all several years ago.

What a scam!

There are no viruses McAfee just trying to get me to signup for bogus $180/year plan.

iYogi and McAfee Tech Support are one and the same.

I unsubscribed several years ago from McAfee Tech Support and cut off iYogi mid scan or should I say mid-scam. Deja-vu all over again.

@PissedConsumer890045

rip off merchants extortion blackmail.one vile company mcafee

I was a sub-contractor for this company at one time. I quickly seen that customers were paying way to much for the service being rendered.

If you are in the Marion County or Alachua County area of Florida send me an email at: grace.rom@***.net I will be glad to speak with you about repairs.

I now do this myself and have 20+ years experience. I am sure I can beat the cost.

i was pressured into iyogi as i had problems and then they started to fix the problem and then said it would cost me 150.00 to continue with assistance. after telling them no way the guy on the phone said he was going to uninstall everything he had done so far and my computer would lock up and no way to fix it.

I gave in after panicing and bought the scam....

I then was in the process of fixing issues with them and got cut off in mid stream, called back and got some other Indian guy and i still think two things...they lost some of my programs and i feel like they can still take liberties with my computer somehow. Cant explain it just seems like it sometimes.

i had bought a dell computer with 4 year mcafee

protection-i got a message saying my 30days was up so of course i went to mcafee site to see if i could get resolution to this problem as i ahd no disc and the first number to come up was iyogi-i didnt get it-i was on the phone 3.5 hrs-they told me my financial info was secure

and that i had 811 serious errors which they removed and put on another antivirus which you can download for free-i dont know what to believe-i paid 170 bucks-not sure what to do-any advice?

After numerous conversation with I YOGI techs and their supervisors, I YOGI said I had to install McAfee, I declind several times, only to have them hang up on me. I still have time remaining on my service contract, but they are ignoring my requests for help.

. Is it possible to get a partial refund of the $170.00?

I dobt believe it is actually iYogi or Mcafee thats doint that to you guys, i had gotten hacked by some indian guy calling "from behalf of windows" and he didnt get any money out of me, but i was worried that since they had already taken control of my computer, they could leep messin with it, so i called iYogi, obviously people who work on selling stuff, hustle anyone into buying their product, so i bought the year plan, now the hackers called me from behalf of "iYogi" and i knew wat was up since it was a Restricted number, i called iYogi and let them know, they told me not to trust them, it could be hackers, to call them directly if i have any doubts

Microsoft Security Essentials! It's FREE!

Spybot or Spyware Blaster, also Free!!! I see no reason to pay these companies for services I can get at no cost and don't understand why so many others do.

They tried to do this to me today. I subscribed to iyogi three months ago to help me with a problem (which they couldn't).

They are good for nonexperts but they don't know anything I don't. I have a two year subscription for software like optimizers and malware removal which I already had with the exact strengths and weaknesses.

I was a McAfee user for 7 years before last year. iyogi tried to claim they really improved.

After two techs and over an hour we finally ended the conversation and they didn't end with "good karma".

In conclusion McAfee still sucks and just when I was beginning to like iyogi software (I can do everything in one place and set automatic timers which I couldn't with my other software which is the same to better), they had to call and act like the desperate salseman. p.s. they are cosponsored by avast (how I found out about them). I had trouble installing it and tried to get them to do it and they couldn't.

When I have a problem that I can't fix by myself, neither can iyogi.

But I would recommend them to somebody that knows nothing. It's like the RC Cola of online techs...they're good but there is better.

View more comments (14)
Miami, Florida

Stay away from McAfee

Based on my recent experience with McAfee, customer service is an oxymoron with this company. Their customer service department was not interested in assisting me. They use a variety of methods to try and discourage solving complaints, such as putting you on hold endlessly, saying they don't have the ability to transfer a call, promising to research and let you know their findings (but not doing so!). Don't frustrate yourself by dealing with them. There are plenty of free anti-virus programs available to you instead of spending money with McAfee. Save yourself time, money and aggrevation...my experience should not become yours.

I have a problem with them keeping up with my paperwork for my rebates I submitted twice both by mail and by fax. It was sent in to them in January and the rebate was for purchases from 1/9 thru 1/22 my purchase was 1/10.

Rebate information was mailed 1/12 and I had to fax it as well because they can not find it after 4 months.

Why am I still waiting on the rebate and they are telling me they do not have it still and the fax confirmation states tranmission was ok? :(

Yes I too went through the Symantecs and the McAfees -- neither were very effective and customer service was non-existent.

Do yourself a favor like I did: get ESET (eset.com). Three years now, several captures of viruses and rootkits, and generally good customer service--and get this--no infections.

Rochester, New York

Unauthorized item charged to my credit card

When I checked my credit card I found an unauthorized item that had been charged to my account. The purchase date was 11/04/2011 for the amount of $99.95 and was from McAfee.com 866-622-****CA. I never ordered anything from McAfee as I already have the software on my computer which does not need updating or anything extra added and have no idea why they would charge me for something I didn't order. I am extremely angry and ask that you please make sure that you credit my account with $99.95 immediately. Thank you
Brisbane, Queensland

Charged $89.99 I should pay only 39.99 verify

I have been charged on my master card $ 89.99 for the renewal of antivirus 3 computers . where as I should be charged only $ 39.99. So you have charged an extra $ 50.00 with no verification. Please study the case revere with answer & refund. Also you have used my mastercard info without my consent to renew for another whole year . in the future renewal I should enter to renew don't offer to use my master card without my consent. Don't charge me to back up cd as I'm outside the states.I should recieve shortly your answer & refund. akram tawila.

It's not going to get resolved here,Akram.

I hope my problem should be rrsolved soon.

I hope my problem should be rrsolved soon.

View more comments (2)
Cairo, Al Qahirah
Loss

Charged for product I did not order

I did dot purchase Mcfee.com866-622-****CA. They called me to say i needed to renew but I cancelled it over three years ago. I told them I had another company's product. They charged my credit card $99.95 regardless. Is there any law against this theiving Company??? I have contacted my Bank and disputed the transaction and hope it will be reversed immediately. It seems this company does this sort of things on a regular basis. Once you purchase a product from them using credit card they use it to charge again without your conscent. I want immediate credit on my account.
Melbourne, Victoria

McAfee Total Protection

Stay away from this software. I have Mcafee Total Protection and Iobit Advanced System Care up and running all the time on my computer. Nothing but junk software. Malware, Spyware, and Virus' march right by these programs without missing a beat. I have to perform system restore at least once a week. They, and Microsoft OS suck, I'm going with the newest Ipad and selling my computer. BTW absolutely NO Customer support from McAfee, if you want help you have to pay $$$$$. You are on your own, they are ripoff artists. Shop around elsewhere. Stay away. Iobit was supposed to keep my computer running at top speed, now my computer runs slower and worse problems now than ever keep away from these guys too.

Nobody PAYS for antivirus software anymore. Microsoft Security Essentials has been free since 2009.

I've used McAfee, Norton, and others in the past and was never satisfied...they just didn't work. In 1999 I was searching for a good antivirus/malware/spyware program when I came across AVAST.

Been using it ever since and have never had an infection of any kind. A lot of people also like AVG.

I've never used it but heard good things about it. This is my 12th year with AVAST and honestly, I wouldn't use anything else.

Mount Laurel, New Jersey

MCAfee Internet Security Suite

I'm pretty unhappy about McAfee's renewal policy, even if you are a loyal customer for many years (Internet Security Suite/complete version), you end up paying every year more for the 'upgrade' than for the same product, when buying it new. If I'm buying three pair of pants instead of one, I get at least one pair cheaper - that's the way it works. If you have technical problems (DAT file out of date on daily bases), you do not get a satisfying help at all, so think about, if you are planning to by their products!!
ID
#208309 Review #208309 is a subjective opinion of poster.
San Juan, San Juan Municipio

McAfee Preloaded Debit Card Rebate

Stores selling McAfee software offer enticing deals to capture customers. These deals often involve preloaded Visa debit cards. Customers are told they will receive a specific sum on a debit card in exchange for their purchase of the McAfee software. But when the debit card is eventually used to make a purchase, the customer discovers the amount on the card is not the same as was promised. What the customer does not know when purchasing the McAfee product is that a $3 fee will be deducted monthly from the debit card after a short grace period. The bank will continue to remove $3 a month from the debit card until the card is drained.

8) One complaint can represent others in the same boat. That is what I've been trying to accomplish. Find out more at mcafeedebitrebatecard.com

:( This happened to me, only it wasn't service fees. Some other fee -- undisclosed -- reduced my rebate. I wish there was something I could do about it, but one complaint doesn't carry any weight.

ID
#204743 Review #204743 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Castaic, California
Mcafee Antivirus

McAfee wants me to purchase additional support after their service stopped working

McAfee came preinstalled on my Dell. After the one year original license was up, I went ahead and purchased an additional 2 year subscription - it seemed it had worked fine up until that point so what the heck... Last week I received the message that my software was deactivated, with a prompt to purchase another license. After long wait and futzing about, online tech support "fixed" the issue. I left town for a week, come back and the SAME issue occurs. I spent all of last night online with their tech support, three different lengthy sessions. The end result of these was being told I needed to purchase a special virus removal tech session ($89.95) from them. I indicated that their product had failed to work, their links failed to work, and they seemed to be the ones having the trouble - tech support insisted they were sorry but there is no other way. After uninstalling their software and installing a free antivirus program, four trojans were successfully removed from my computer. I went to their website to see about requesting a refund for the time not used - I am 10 days outside of their 30 day policy. They make it practically impossible to get ahold of anyone to discuss this. I effectively purchased two years of "protection" from a company that feels I should be made to purchase additional protection in order to remain protected - even when correctly using their product and not engaging in risky behaviours. In "real life", this is called extortion. I am beyond pissed. This is not money I can easily replace. I purchased the additional subscription because I was hoping to save time by not having to manually tweak and remove things - not so I could spend hours of my time online waiting for their useless tech support to move my cursor around and then tell me I needed to give them my credit card again.
#204519

If I were you I would go on line to find free downloadable software. First you need to find out if your computer will accept it and the operating system you have will work well with it.

I use nircosoft security essantials and it's free. Be very careful about downloading MALWAREBYTES they say it' ok but it uninstalled vista and drivers from my laptop.good luck.

ID
#201018 Review #201018 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Galeton, Pennsylvania
Mcafee Antivirus

McAfee could care less about you

I purchased a Dell Computer with Windows 7 64 bit earlier this year. McAfee Security software was preloaded and I purchased an extension of the security software. Twice in the last month automatic updates have "blue screened" my computer.I've written to Dell and McAfee customer service. I simply asked for a refund since I CAN'T USE THE SOFTWARE without crashing my computer. Dell and McAfee say its each others issue...and I'm left hanging with the bill and no Security Software. (I know I won't get back the $175 I spent to get the computer up and running)
ID
#199269 Review #199269 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Mcdonald, Pennsylvania
Service
Mcafee Customer Care

McAfee Sucks ! It Killed Windows XP, Rendered Useless

Mcafee updated dat file on 4-21-10 trashed thousands of computers using their product. This update severely screwed up our childs computer, rendering it unuseful period ! Not only the hard shut downs and missing windows componants, it erased use of ie explorer too and their product ! The site gave fairly detailed instructions on how to repair the issue, which failed to work, even step by step. It lists to call their tech support number given and after all the menu's and sub menus, it says you have to " BUY " yes.... " BUY "the phone support service and have your credit card ready ! Geez... what a bunch of Idiots ! No help online, no phone support, IP wont help, even though it is bundled with our IP service. They have switched all new customers to Norten 360.... I have a useless computer now, with a damged OP system, which leaves the kids school work and music production unavailable and probably lost for good ! Mcafee should be liable in a huge class action suit, because now I have to hire somebody to remedy this problem. The nerve of them to request you to purchase phone support service for their MAJOR Screw Up! Extremely PISSED Here !

McAfee has posted a fix for this.

I will tell what to do go to filehippo.com and get antiviria the program is free it one of the best anivirus programs out there and it FREE i have used it now for 3yrs and it is awesome it work on all windows xp vista and 7 sorry to hear about mcfee i hate that program.

Sarasota, Florida

The worst virus on my computer is called McAfee

I am a real person, and I not being compensated in any way to write this. I received McAfee spyware with a new Windows based computer laptop three years ago. After 6 months-a year, the subsciption expired, and I moved on to other virus protection programs. Ever since that time, RAM-dense McAfee popups appear: Every four hours Twice at computer startup Once at around 4 am Once at a around 5:30 am Neither am I inexperienced with computers. The most reflexive response to the above complaint should read something like, 'go to user options and adjust to settings that suit you. The real problem is in fact that this is not possible. This particular version of McAfee is set up in such a way that a user cannot adjust the advanced options without first verifying their subscription. The end result is that I am totally prohibited from shutting off intrusive adversing for 'updates' and McAfee products until I purchase them. These popups also minimize whatever window I am currently using. McAfee uses 150,000-200,000 KB (alot for this generation of computer). I will say that in its defense, I encountered NO problems with viruses while using McAfee. Also, many of the pop-up windows, which are modest sized, appeared when the subscription was still active, but I didn't have the time or inclination to shut them off during that period, being busy with setting up the other details of the computer and real-life things. Still, I think it's resonable to expect that software, once expired, should not by default spam your its former user without recourse. McAfee deserves a more thorough lambasting than I have posted here for the sly and chronically irritating update interface to which I am victim. I also suspect that the computer and virus protection companies are in no small measure responsible for the viruses they so proprietarily protect us from, but that has nothing to do with this review. I had the idea for this site, but I'm glad someone actually executed. Good site.

Thanks for your story. I just uninstalled McAfee today after I saw this awesome message.

It keeps asking me to update. And even when I choose to "Uninstall". The next screen comes "Cancel", "Remove", and "Renew". And "Renew" is the default button. If I go a little bit fast, I will be cheated to renew!!

What a shame and cheatful software company McAfee has!!

did you uninsrtall the program and clean the registry after? It sounds like you have not.

OH and any other full protection software uses about the same amount of resources as you claim, if not more.

Pepperell, Massachusetts